A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join BEAR Scotland’s SE team as a Graduate Engineer.
The South East Trunk Road Unit spans 506km through some of the busiest sections of the country, from central Scotland to through the Scottish Borders. It includes routes such as the Edinburgh City Bypass, as well as a large section of the M8 connecting Edinburgh to Glasgow.
The Graduate Engineer, reporting into the Nominated Delegate Engineer will assist with dayto-day activities relating to delivery of allocated work stream in a variety of teams within the company. Responsible for the execution of allocated works to technical standard, to programme and budget and expected to move between teams as workload and training dictates.
- Comply with Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures that form part of the company’s Integrated Management Systems.
- Delivering allocated individual projects on time and within budget.
- Assist with effective monitoring and control of costs.
- Assist with establishing good relationships with client, customers and other bodies.
- Assist with answering of correspondence.
- Planning of day-to-day allocated workload.
- Assist with undertaking the Designer’s role in accordance with the CDM Regulations and the drafting appropriate risk assessments.
- Assist with the production of Health & Safety Information packs.
- Assist with the management and supervision of “As of Right” sub-contractors.
- Assist with the delivery of winter maintenance, as required.
- Follow the requirements of the Graduate Training programme as appropriate.
- Assist the Delegated Engineer and others within the teams as required.
- (Note precise activities will vary depending upon the team the Graduate Engineer is working in.)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Current experience/qualification in a relevant discipline to degree level.
- Possesses a full working knowledge and understanding of relevant engineering discipline.
- Job holder will be under training, working towards further qualification/ chartered status.
- Must be able to use analysis, design and office software as required.
- Must be able to work to strict deadlines.
- Commercially aware.
- A full approved UK driving licence.
BEAR Scotland currently manages, maintains and improves 1962km of Scottish trunk road including over 2000 bridges and structures through some of the most scenic, but challenging, parts of the country. That means delivering £million investment on road maintenance and improvement every year.
We believe that the people who work with us are our greatest asset and, in order for us to succeed, we make sure we retain and attract a talented, innovative and dedicated team. In return, we offer:
- A tailored, competitive salary
- Pension and life assurance
- Up to 34 days annual leave per year
- Additional annual leave purchase through Salary Sacrifice
- 2 paid days per year to help to support your charity of your choice
- BEAR Rewards – shopping discounts and cashback
- Employee Assistance Programme available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible/Hybrid working
- Development and progression plan
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We wish to ensure equality of opportunity in employment and the fair treatment of all our employees.
Please apply by completing the application form below or sending your CV to: