An opportunity has arisen within BEAR Scotland’s North West Bridges Team for a Bridge Engineer to work in our Perth office. The role would involve working within a team of Engineers, Graduates and Technicians on the investigation, design, procurement and construction of various bridge maintenance schemes.
Candidates should have experience of civil engineering design and as well as a knowledge of health and safety, environmental and commercial aspects of schemes. Candidates should be professionally qualified to IEng level or be able to demonstrate comparable levels of knowledge and experience with the aim of becoming professionally qualified within 12 months.
We are looking for a self-motivated individuals who is interested in progressing their career by helping manage the delivery of a diverse programme of work. The successful candidate will have good team working and communication skills, be flexible and hold a valid driving licence.
• The Bridge Engineer will assist in the investigation, design, planning, procurement and construction management of bridge maintenance works on the network. The postholder will work with internal and sub-contractors’ resources.
Responsibilities and Activities include (but are not restricted to):
• Monitor the internal financial performance of individual schemes.
• Follow Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures that form part of the company’s Integrated management systems.
• Assist in the team’s compliance with the CDM Regulations and ensure that robust risk assessments are carried out before works, operations or inspections take place.
• Work as part of a team within NW Bridges and with other BEAR departments.
• Update structural records through the clients’ preferred structures management systems.
• Detailed design of bridges projects and the associated cost estimates and the production and retention of adequate design records.
• Produce tender documents and As of Right construction packages.
• Complete tender evaluations and assisting with contract award.
• Procure, supervise and measure As of Right Works.
• Assist Graduate Engineers within the team.
• Compliance with technical standards.
• Ensuring that adequate environmental screening is undertaken and appropriate mitigation measures are implemented prior to work commencing.
• Preparation of Departures from Standard when applicable.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Educated to degree level in Civil or Structural Engineering
• Experience in civil engineering design
• Professional qualifications and membership of an appropriate professional body to IEng or able to demonstrate comparable ability and a route to membership.
• A full approved UK driving licence.
• Clear communicator.