Upgrade your career and upgrade our Bridges Network.
The Management of Scotland’s Trunk Roads continues to grow as budgets increase to allow an ambitious upgrade of Scotland critical road infrastructure. At BEAR Scotland, we manage and maintain around 3,000 structures including the iconic Forth Road Bridge and the Queensferry Crossing.
We commenced our new 8-12 year Network Management Contract in the South East unit in August 2020 and we are now expanding our team to help deliver improvements to some of the key structures on our network. Our four major bridges also have teams working on them 365 days a year ensuring they maintained to current standards.
Whether you have extensive experience and are ready-made for the role, or you have some experience and you are looking for the opportunity to develop we want to hear from you.
This role will manage a team of engineers, graduates and technicians to design and deliver upgrades to the Major bridges. We are looking for a Chartered or near Chartered Engineer with demonstrable experience in the design and maintenance of bridgeworks.
Responsibilities and Activities (not limited to):
- Outline and detailed design of bridges projects, including designers risk register, associated cost estimates and the production and retention of adequate design records.
- Produce tender documents and As of Right construction packages
- Tender evaluation and assisting client with contract award.
- Procure, supervise and measure As of Right Works.
- Management and supervision of own team, sub-consultants and sub-contractors and any external interfaces as required.
- Assist with the delivery of winter maintenance, predominantly associated with structures.
- Co-ordinate the production, issue and archiving of all drawings, documents, and scheme files.
- Ensuring compliance with technical standards.
- Ensuring that adequate environmental screening is undertaken, and appropriate mitigation measures are implemented prior to work commencing.
- Submission of Departures from Standard when applicable.
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures that form part of the company’s Integrated Management Systems.
- Assist the Principal Designer on behalf of the company with regard to compliance with CDM Regulations and ensure that robust risk assessments are carried out before works, operations or inspections take place.
- Liaise with clients and auditors.
- Assess the need and carry out further Special, Superficial and Scour inspections as required.
- Manage routine, cyclic and reactive works to bridges and structures.
- Monitoring of sub-standard structures.
- Manage the maintenance of all structural records through clients’ preferred structures management systems.
- React to instances of Damage to Crown Property relating to bridges and structures and assessing immediate response and repair.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable appropriate experience working on a trunk road maintenance Contract or having successfully fulfilled a role of a similar nature
- Engineer (MICE, MIStructE or similar) and have a degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
- Must be able to work to strict deadlines.
- A full approved UK driving licence.
- Detailed knowledge of the DMRB, Transport Scotland specific requirements in bridge design and construction, particularly in a maintenance environment.