Principal Bridge Engineer
BEAR Scotland inspect, manage and maintain over 2500km of Scotland’s truck road network including 1400 trunk road structures in the North West of Scotland for our client, Transport Scotland. We work in some of the most scenic but challenging parts of the country on a variety of structures including major bridges such as Kessock Bridge in Inverness or Skye Bridge which links the mainland with the Isle of Skye.
An opportunity has arisen within BEAR Scotland’s North West Major Bridges Team for a Principal Engineer to work in our Inverness office. The role would involve leading a small team of Engineers, Graduates and Technicians working on the inspection of the major bridges as well as the investigation, design, procurement and construction management of maintenance works.
Candidates should have experience of highway structure design and maintenance as well as statutory processes for managing health and safety, environmental and commercial aspects of schemes. Candidates should be professionally qualified to IEng or CEng level or be able to demonstrate comparable levels of knowledge and experience with the aim of becoming professionally qualified within 12 months.
We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are interested in progressing their careers by helping manage the delivery of a diverse programme of work. The successful candidates will have good leadership and communication skills, be flexible and hold a valid driving licence.
- The Principal Bridge Engineer will manage the identification, investigation, design, planning, procurement and construction management of planned major bridge maintenance works on the network. The postholder will manage internal and sub-contractors’ resources to meet contract requirements.
Responsibilities and Activities include (but are not restricted to):
- Manage the internal financial performance of individual schemes.
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures that form part of the company’s Integrated management systems.
- Ensure compliance with the CDM Regulations, as required, and ensure that robust risk assessments are carried out before works, operations or inspections take place.
- Liaise with clients and auditors.
- Update structural records through the clients’ preferred structures management systems.
- Outline and detailed design of bridges projects and the associated cost estimates and the production and retention of adequate design records.
- Produce tender documents and As of Right construction packages.
- Tender evaluation and assisting with contract award.
- Procure, supervise and measure As of Right Works.
- Manage and supervise a small design team, sub-consultants and sub-contractors and any external interfaces as required.
- Co-ordinate the production, issue and archiving of all drawings, documents, and scheme files.
- Ensuring compliance with technical standards.
- Ensuring that adequate environmental screening is undertaken and appropriate mitigation measures are implemented prior to work commencing.
- Submission of Departures from Standard when applicable.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Extensive experience in the design and maintenance of major bridge structures.
- Professional qualifications and membership of an appropriate professional body (IEng / CEng and MICE, MIStructE, IHE etc) or able to demonstrate comparable ability.
- A full approved UK driving licence.
- Skilled in the project management of schemes and the management of teams.
- Clear communicator.