Category 1/2 Designer – Perth / Inverness
BEAR Scotland is a leading provider of highways maintenance services across Scotland. We manage and maintain over 2,500km of Scotland’s trunk road network, tackling just about every imaginable task and working round the clock to help keep Scotland moving.
We currently have opportunities for suitable candidates to take on the role of Cat 1/2 Designer in the North West and North East Units.
Reporting to the Cat 1/2 Team Leader, the responsibilities of the role will involve the design and delivery of minor routine maintenance schemes. They will be responsible for taking their assigned schemes from inception to completion, helping to ensure a steady workflow to our operations teams.
The post holder will check and authorise Category 1 and Category 2 operating instructions, designs and paperwork required for the safe implementation of the repair. They will also carry out investigations of problems identified by the Inspectors, Councillors, Community Councils, members of the public or others.
Responsibilities and Activities:
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality procedures that form part of BEAR’s Integrated Management Systems.
- Create Category 1 and Category 2 Operating Instructions from inspection data, design repairs and prepare paperwork required for the safe implementation of the repair.
Check and authorise Category 1 and Category 2 Operating Instructions, check design and paperwork required for the safe implementation of the repair.
- Carry out investigations of problems identified by the Inspectors, Councillors, Community Councils, members of the public or others.
- Other duties applicable to the post as directed from time to time by the Team Leader.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Working knowledge of Contract Control and Management System.
- Awareness of current design standards.
- Awareness of temporary traffic management requirements.
- Ability to comply with relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office packages.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Flexible attitude to working practices.
- Capable of self management and self motivation.
- A full approved UK driving licence.
- An Engineering NC or HNC is desirable but not mandatory.